Saturday, October 17, 2009

$75K Isn't Enticing

Call me greedy, call me selfish, call me an overachiever, call me what you want, BUT realize that I know my value and I KNOW what I want.


In my last post I talked about my job search & job interview. The interview went well on 10/09/09, I met two great people, was exposed to a great opportunity, but now I’m hesitant about accepting the job offer that I received.

Here goes – I work in the software consulting industry as an analyst. I have a great paying job at the age of 26. My current salary is $65K & yes I am thankful that I have a job, I know that there are people out there who would kill to make that kind of money, but I have worked hard as hell to get where I am. My “high paying” job doesn’t come WITHOUT stress nor does it come WITHOUT personal sacrifice! I am a hard worker, a quick learner, I’ll go above and beyond to get my work done, I will help anyone who is willing to help themselves.

Did I mention that my interview with Software Company #1 went well? The job would require me to initially travel to Ireland for a period of about a week or two this year & then travel to Ireland for 4-6 weeks in January. After the training I would be assigned to a project & work with a team to implement the product.

The position is very similar to what I currently do, but I would hope to take on additional responsibilities, to learn more, do more, and advance in my career. I received a call from the HR manager yesterday, she explained that they wanted to extend a job offer to me with a base salary of $75K. Granted I didn’t give her a salary range that I wanted & that’s my mistake, but I was definitely thinking they would make me an offer in the mid to upper $80’s.

Do I think I’m worth that?! Yeah! I have researched my “title,” my experience, my education and all that other good stuff & the median salary is $80K, $5K MORE than their offer & that’s just the median. So I guess it’s now time to negotiate a higher salary. I don’t want to just take their offer, they’ll think I’m a pushover, but I also don’t want to appear greedy.

I’m not getting ready to dish all of my business here on my blog, but $75K isn’t enticing enough to make me leave my current job, a job that I know and do well, a product that I know well, and people that I know well. Monday morning, although I’m traveling, starts salary negotiation! If they are willing to increase the offer to at least $82,500, I am willing to make the move; if not, I’ll stick to what I’m doing & pray that I make it through the next couple of weeks, pray that something better is out there!

In the mean time – anyone got any tips/tricks on negotiating a higher salary?

3 comments:

SHUO said...

Just dropping by your blog.

I have dreams and know how critical money is myself.But don't be too hard to yourself. You can never earn all the money you need for your whole life.

You deserve high salery and the truth of life.^^

Greeting from China!

MK said...

i am one of those people who would kill for your current salary. i took a paycut after i got laid off, and havent been able to find a job even close to what i was making before. in any case, dont ever be afraid to ask for more. it doesnt make you look greedy at all and the worst they can say is no. i have NEVER heard of an employer looking down on someone for asking for more money. dont be afraid! i think you do need to take into consideration that a lot of companies arent paying what they may have paid before because of the economy, so you may have to compromise somewhat, but i dont think there is anything wrong with asking for more. as long as you have the work ethic to back it up, go for it :) good luck!!

K.Pete said...

Good luck!! I hope the negotiations go well. I don't know what to tell you about tactics for negotiating higher salaries ... I'd probably google it (which you probably already did) so yeah - what I'm saying is I'm not a lot of help on this one!!

BUT my fingers are crossed that it works out the way you want. :) xo